Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Renaissance Fair


Today I was on my way to work and I saw that the Renaissance Fair was in town… Oh Joy of Joys!. For those of you who don’t know what a Renaissance Fair is, let me explain it in plain terms. The “Ren Fair” (as the die-hards call it) is sort of like a carnival, but without any rides, and all the carnies are dressed like Medieval peasants, warriors, knights, princesses, kings, etc. Either way the basic principle is the same… Travel from town to town, fair to fair, basically camping out, not showering for days on end, surviving mainly on stick-mounted-foods such as corn-dogs and candied-apples.

The whole carnie lifestyle is just the first issue that I have with these Ren Fair people. The other is the fact that they are in a Renaissance Fair! Don’t be fooled, this is not some eloquent theme related to Shakespeare or any other form of high-art. This is exactly how they trick you into coming into the fair in the first place. Imagine a young mother with her children in tow, excited about providing her kids with a little culture. She goes to the fair expecting to see Maypole dances and hear music from the lute and lire. Maybe she can buy some tarts or crumpets for her wee little ones. But soon she will realize that this so-called Renaissance Fair consists of nothing more than 25 broadsword vendors, 10 armor makers and endless hand made jewelry booths, all of which are selling incense to cover up the smell of marijuana that is being bought, sold and consumed at an alarming rate. (Lets not forget about the corn-dog/candied-apple stand!) Then she also notices that every person there is dressed in Medieval garb (to say they are “dressed up” or "dressed like" would imply that they have normal clothes somewhere, that they usually wear, which sadly is not the case). Just before she leaves she might also unwittingly discover that none of these sweaty, poorly kept people are wearing any sort of undergarments. (No undergarments in Medieval times you know). If only she had known this before buying tickets to the cartwheel contest... Goooo!!!

P.S. Check out the freakin' centaur at the top of this post. Ten bucks says he made that suit himself. Ten more says he's been wearing it since just before his divorce. But hey, a centaur's gotta do, what a centaur's gotta do right!

(Originally I referred to the pic above as a "minotaur" but one of our readers pointed out that it was actually a centaur. There is a difference and ignoring it would be the medieval equivalent of modern day bigotry)


10 comments:

  1. the cartwheel contest was a nice touch. and there is nothing wrong with going commando!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you play King Lear once?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did play King Lear in 8th grade. However, I was wearing underwear at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone can see that the creature depicted here is actually a Northern Centaur, likely of lawful-neutral alignment and having tons of hit points. Since I'm only a 3rd level cleric, I'd want him on MY side on my next campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Anonymous,
    I pray that you were just kidding. If so, (hilarious), if not, I will have to write a post about you.(Dave?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kidding? It's right out of the Monster Manual (mine is a rare 2nd edition, by the way). Believe me, I know my monsters and NPC's. And I can just guess what the post right after mine said. Probably something about me living in my parents' basement and never having a date. WELL, I don't pay rent and I have a player character who is a 5th level female fighter-mage. What do YOU do on Friday nights? And have you ever held a 100-sided dice in your hand? I think I've made my point. (PS: We DO wear underwear at the Ren-Faire. We make it ourselves out of bandannas and rabbit pelts)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to clarify, the deleted comment was one I posted with a word grossly misspelled. Besides, I would not want to make an enemy of anyone with your knowledge base.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, it's just me (Dave). I had to do some regressive self-hypnosis to dredge up that arcane D&D knowledge from the 80's. I have never actually held a 100-sided dice but I saw one once and it made me nervous. I am a fan of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shea thanks for the humor. Just so you know the (Dave?) is not my Dave he would not be able to get to this space without my help he doesn't know much about the whole blog thing yet...

    ReplyDelete