Sunday, November 30, 2008

What I am really thankful for.

With Thanksgiving now past, the holiday season has officially begun. Every year we answer that age old question, "what are you thankful for". And every year we give the same stock answers. "My family, friends, a house, food to eat, blah, blah, blah!.

What are you really thankful for? What is something in your life that has never let you down, made you mad, or caused you stress?

Today I found a paper with two crudely drawn pictures on it. One was lobster, the other was a pickle. I asked my 4 year-old why he had drawn those two things and he responded very matter of factly "They told us to draw what we were thankful for, so I drew a pickle and a lobster."

"Of course!" I thought, "It makes perfect sense." Pickles have no natural enemies and the lobster he was referring to is stuffed and therefore harmless.

This really made me reevaluate what I am truly grateful for. What are the things in my life that are simple, good and purely beneficial, with no drawbacks or compromises? I offer the following list:

1. Ankle Socks - I love these little guys! They protect my feet from my shoes and don't ever fall down or bunch up.

2. Q-Tips - "Hello, my name is Shea... And I am a Q-Tip-Aholic" Everyday after I shower, I use my beloved Q-tips. In fact, sometimes I will shower just so I can use a Q-Tip. Here's another confession. Sometimes in the middle of the night, I will just get up and clean out my ears for no reason at all, other than I love how it feels to clean my ears. You think I'm crazy? Well maybe you are just repressed!

3. Sneezing - Sneezing is like a free 1 second, natural high. If you don't know what I am talking about, chances are that you aren't allowing yourself a full uninhibited sneeze. Forget about being politically correct! Next time you have to sneeze, just let-r'-rip! You'll thank me later.

4.My Blankie - Here me now world! I am 28 years old and I have a blankie! (Really it is more of a quilt but you get the point) It was a Christmas present from my grandmother when I was 18. And I have slept with it nearly every night since and I LOVE it. I literally love my precious blanket. If my house was burning down, I would run back inside, risking my life, to save my blankie. Just like those lame scenes from the movies. Fire Cheif - "Okay!, that's everyone! The building could come down any second!" Me-"Wait, what about my blanket! I've got to save my Bbblllaannkket..." (my voice trails off as I run back into the burning building). In this daydream, the story either ends with me emerging triuphantly from the crumbling building after an impossible amount of time inside the blaze, with the blanket in my arms, or with the firefighters finding us dead the next morning, curled up together, with some sort of melted metal between us, shaped like a heart.


P.S. I would love to hear what you are really greatful for. Please don't be afraid to share, we are are all friends here.

4 comments:

  1. Okay so I found your blog from a friends friends friends blog, but I cannot stop reading it. It all started when my husband told me about your "Edward" post. Now my whole clan of people read your blog too. Anyway, my husband says you're inspiring him to start his own blog which I think is a grand idea seeing as he is quite the funny man as well and your thankful list and his thankful list are pretty much identical, in fact he calls his ear cleaning experiences "ear-gasms". Anywho, I look forward to more laughs here while reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap Shea, I to once had a blankie of which you speak. My grandmother also gave me this beloved and cherished blankie for graduation. I loved it, almost more then life itself. It went everywhere with me, including 4 different countries. Then one day I got married, and my better half made me choose to sleep with her, or my blankie and I haven't had a good night sleep since. (JK, Marci if your reading this) I secretly have an shrine built in my crawl space to onor my blankie and pay my respects to the wonderful sleep that I used to recieve from it. Love your blog Shea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shea, Ashley Endsley's comment gave me a great idea. Why don't you invite all of your readers to a huge "ear-gy" at your house? BYOQT of course - (Bring Your Own Q-Tips).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shea,
    I realize this is apost from a year ago, but it, as all of your posts do, made me smile. I actually miss our Saturdays in Cedar to a point...the people and the laughs, at least. But, just wanted to say that my husband also has a blankie--I made him a patchwork quilt with fabrics representing each of our kids. He's had it now for about three years, and ALWAYS sleeps with it wrapped around him. He takes it on trips, and anywhere else he needs to snuggle. He told me just a few weeks ago that he loves it best of all! Thanks for the reminder. Becky Phillips

    ReplyDelete